Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick-or-Treat

We had quite an eventful Halloween this year.
Ryann and I went out for our weekly grocery shopping trip right after breakfast. We stopped at my school to pick something up and got a little sidetracked so we were there 30 minutes or so. Then I realized that I had forgotten Scott's newspaper so I stopped at another grocery store. I was feeling lucky so I put $2 in the scratch off machine to get a Bingo card. Ryann pushed a button, giving me the wrong kind. I ended up spending $4 to get what I wanted and didn't win a thing. That'll teach me. I shouldn't waste my money anyway.
When we got home, Ryann and I made pumpkin-shaped sugar cookies. She was very good with the rolling pin and cookie cutter. She went a little overboard with the sprinkles but it was fun. She made sure her daddy tasted one right away. After her nap, we carved her pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern. We had drawn a face on it earlier in the week so we cut the same pattern we had. She scribbled on it a lot during the drawing phase but.....it's her pumpkin. She supervised the carving and gutting of the pumpkin. She didn't care for getting her hands dirty. After that, we roasted the pumpkin seeds. She was hesitant to try them but seemed to like them. Ryann's friend, Andrew, came by to trick-or-treat. He was dressed as a monkey. Ryann thought that was fun. She liked giving him candy. She went trick-or-treating on our street for the first time. She was quiet but didn't seem scared. She said "trick-or-treat" at most houses and "thank you" at all of them. She did have a funny habit of going into the houses as soon as the doors opened. I apologized but everyone seemed to welcome her in because she was so cute. A lot of people here sit in their driveways to give out candy. I think that's kind of funny but I guess it beats answering the door every five minutes all night. We met some new neighbors so that was nice. Ryann and I both enjoyed the outing. As soon as we got home, she and her daddy wanted to eat her candy but she only had a little. I didn't ask how much her daddy had. :0)
We spent the rest of the night playing and giving out candy. Ryann ran to the door with excitement every time a trick-or-treater came. She loves Halloween. We ended the night with a Little Critter Halloween book. I explained to her that we wouldn't be doing it again until next year but I have a feeling that we haven't heard the last of the "trick-or-treats."
Overall, it was a fun day. I really enjoy doing things with her now that she's big enough to understand and talk about things. Avery didn't participate this year but next year should be super fun. At least Avery got to show her Halloween spirit on Thursday at daycare. They wore their Halloween stuff on Thursday because they didn't go on Friday this week. I wouldn't have wanted them to miss out on the festive clothes. :0)

No comments: