Tuesday, May 5, 2009

She's Here!

Finally, our second little girl has arrived. We're so excited. We think she's absolutely adorable, but we might be a little biased.

We were scheduled for a c-section at 10:30am on Saturday, May 2. We needed to be there by 8:30. At 7:45am, I was getting Ryann dressed in her room. All of a sudden...woooosh! My water broke. I sent Scott running for a towel. We finished getting Ryann's clothes on, loaded the car and headed to the hospital. By the time we got there & got checked in, I was having pretty good contractions. I was very unprepared for that. I thought I was getting off easy this time! The nurse called my doctor and everyone headed in early. By the time the anesthesiologist got there, I was more than ready. I got myself onto the OR table & they did the spinal block in the midst of my contractions. That's fun....they tell me not to move because they're in my spine while I'm trying to breath through a nasty contraction.
After that, things went smoothly. She was born at 10:20am, weighed 8 lbs 12 oz and was 21 inches long. She was slightly larger than Ryann had been. The doctors and nurses all said she was definitely over 9lbs but the scale didn't agree. I guess I lost the over/under on that one.

My recovery went well, much better than with Ryann. They let us keep the baby with us the whole time so that was nice. We decided to name her Avery Edith Dobbins. She's the sweetest little girl! She loves to be cuddled and is very content most of the time. We didn't get much sleep in the hospital due to all the people in and out of the room. We were glad to get home but didn't sleep much the first night either. I've been trying to feed her every 2-3 hours and she's definitely hungry.

Ryann seems to like Avery. She wants to hold her a lot. We're working on the gentleness. She calls her "Baby Sissy" and smiles at her all the time. Ryann likes to point out all of Avery's body parts. She points and says, "eyes," "mouth," "hair," "nose," "tummy," "toes," etc. It's cute. I hope she continues to like her.

Here are a couple of pictures from the hospital. This is my brother, Chad, aka Uncle Chuckie. The other picture is my mom with the girls.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I'm so very happy for all of you . . . congratulations! I can't wait to meet Avery and see you. I hope you are getting more sleep.

Doc said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful addition to your family. I'm glad everyone is well and I look forward to meeting Avery very soon.