Monday, June 8, 2009

Keeping the Healthcare Industry Alive

Last week, Avery had to go back to the doctor because she had a gooey eye. Apparently she has a blocked tear duct with a secondary infection. She had to have antibiotic ointment put in her eyes 3 times per day for several days. That's fun when she's squinting her eyes tightly and swiping her arms at me. We got through that and she seems fine now.

Ryann and I have been battling runny noses and coughs for about a week. I finally decided I'd had enough and we went to our doctors. Apparently we have sinus infections so we both got antibiotics for 10 days.

Just when I thought I had everything taken care of, Ryann came up with another illness. Early Sunday morning, she threw up all over her bed. She didn't cry for me for a while becasue by the time I went to her at 6am, it was spread all over the bed and mostly dry. She immediately asked for milk and told me she was hungry. I'm apparently an idiot because I gave her milk. She promptly taught me a lesson by throwing up the milk all over the floor. I also apparently don't learn. She asked for more milk 20 minutes later. I decided to be smart and gave her water with a little juice instead, which she immediately threw up all over the floor. The third time's a charm, I guess, because I finally figured out she was really sick. I called for advice. The nurse told me not to give her anything for 2 hours then slowly give her clear fluids as she could tolerate them. I set her in the living room chair and turned the TV on to distract her from begging for food and drinks. She sat in a blanket, watching TV and threw up again. Ugh! After that, she took a 4 hour nap, got up for 2 hours and went back to bed.

I ended up doing 3 loads of vomit-infested laundry and cleaned the floor and furniture several times. Keep in mind that amidst all this fun, I had my beautiful 5 week old, Avery, pooping her pants constantly and crying for food every 2-3 hours. Being a mother of 2 is quite exciting.

Life went back to fairly normal today. Ryann is feeling better, Avery slept a lot today, and I went to work. Ahhhh....

2 comments:

Doc said...

Even after all of that I still can't believe that you want to work during your vacation.

Stacy said...

I guess I'm sicker than I thought. :0)